Flavors in Cigars
- Existing science and evidence is inadequate to support restrictions on the use of flavors in cigars
- Cigars with flavors have not been shown to play a unique role in initiation, dependence or cessation
- Youth cigar smoking rates, including flavors in cigars, are low and continue to decline
- The effects on health risks of flavors in cigars compared to unflavored cigars remains unclear
- FDA has not defined "characterizing flavors"
Any action by FDA to establish a product standard for cigars will require formal rulemaking, including public notice and comment. There is no required deadline or timeline for the FDA to act.